Monday, October 11, 2010

Best Mac & Cheeze ever?? I think NOT!

As I said earlier, I heart mac & cheese. I don't discriminate, I love it all. Home made, baked, 3 cheese is my absolute favorite. Since cutting out real dairy I've found that I don't crave it as much as I used to... In fact, I cheated and had some at work a few nights ago and I thought it was pretty gross. So, speaking of pretty gross, this next recipe was rather disappointing. Especially since the name on the website is the "Best Vegan Mac and Cheese in the entire world...seriously". I'm definitely going to have to play with this recipe a lot to get the cheeze sauce to taste the way I want it to. I'm not expecting it to taste like real cheese... I know that's not possible, but I do want it to taste good. As Jason said after trying this recipe "this tastes like ass". So, I'm still going to post it. For the brave who like to experiment (like me), take this as a challenge & play around with it. For those who cook by the book, stay away from this recipe until I get it right...

*** I think I'm going to cut down on the amount of nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and garlic powder and increase the amount of tofu ***

1-1/2 pounds pasta of your choice, preferably macaroni

"Cheese" Sauce:
1-1/2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk
1-1/2 cups nutritional yeast
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/4 (12-ounce) block of firm (not silken) tofu
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon vegesal or in lack of fancy product, just use salt
1 dollop mustard (optional)

Directions:

This is very simple and tastes amazing!

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Boil water in a big pot and cook pasta according to package directions.

3. Add all of the "cheese" sauce ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

4. Once pasta is cooked, drain and put it in the baking pan (about the size of a brownie pan). Pour the "cheese" sauce over the pasta.

5. Bake until the top of the pasta looks slightly browned and crispy, about 15 minutes, but not too crispy because that is gross.


Serves: a lot (*Jen note: yes, this is what it reads on the actual recipe); Preparation time: about 8 minutes; Cooking Time: 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment